During times of extremely low temperatures, water pipes can freeze in any location.
If you believe your water pipes are frozen:
- Contact Cle Elum City Hall to be placed on the Public Work dispatch list
- If after hours, please call the non-emergency KITTCOM number and Public Works will be notified
- Service lines from the meter to the water main are maintained by the City who will use all diligence to prevent interruption of water service, BUT the city shall not be responsible for temporary water interruption due to breakage or freezing (see Municipal Code excerpt below)
- Service lines, pipes and plumbing on the house side of the meter are considered private, and are the customer’s responsibility.
Some suggestions to prevent your water pipes from freezing (not guaranteed):
- Set the thermostat in your house no lower than 55 degrees F.
- Allow a small stream of water, about the size of a pencil lead, to run from one faucet.
- Leave cabinet doors open to expose indoor plumbing to the heat of your house
- Cover all exposed pipes with insulation material.
- Fill cracks, crevices or air holes that allow cold air to penetrate where the water pipe enters the house.
Do not open the water meter box or tamper with the meter in any way.
Such action may result in a fine of up to $500 plus damages.
Cle Elum Municipal Code
Chapter 13.12: Water Regulations
13.12.070 Existing hookups.
Water users hooked up prior to January 1st shall be allowed to use flat-rate monthly charges in lieu of metering. Upon any disruption or discontinuation of service metering may be required at the discretion of the city prior to reinstituting service. Service lines from property lines to city mains shall be maintained by the city water department who will use all diligence to prevent interruption of water service, but the city shall not be responsible for temporary water interruption due to breakage or freezing.
(Ord. 776 § 10, 1981)