Proposed 47o North project by Sun Communities Inc.
In 2002 the Cle Elum City Council approved a Master Site Plan and an Annexation and Development Agreement to guide the development of approximately 1,100 acres generally bounded by I-90, Bullfrog Road, SR-903, the City Cemetery, and the Washington State Horse Park. This planned mixed use development, as originally approved by the City Council provided for the construction of 1,334 dwelling units, 50-affordable housing units, a 75-acre business park, associated amenities, infrastructure improvements, and 524-acres of open space. Other than the dedication of properties to the School District and the City, until recently, no actions have been taken to implement the approved Master Site Plan.
In 2019 the City was notified that Suncadia, the successors in interest to the original Project Sponsor, Trendwest, had entered into a purchase and sale agreement to sell approximately 809-acres within the Bullfrog UGA Master Site Plan to Sun Communities. Sun Communities is a publicly traded company that develops, owns, and operates over 380 RV resorts and residential communities in the United States and Canada. Sun Communities subsequently notified the City of their intent to propose a modification to the approved Master Site Plan by reducing the number of dwelling units by 661 and providing a like number of RV spaces within an RV Resort. The City determined that this change of use would constitute a Major Modification of the Master Site Plan and Development Agreement and that the Bullfrog UGA Environmental Impact Statement would need to be updated. A Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement has been prepared and issued and the City has now received an application for a Major Modification to the approved Bullfrog UGA Master Site Plan and Development Agreement.
Sun Communities has now submitted to the City an application to modify the Master Site Plan. With the requested modifications, the project would include:
- The installation of 673 manufactured housing units in accordance with federal standards.
- The development of an RV Resort with accommodations for up to 661 RVs or equivalent recreational units.
- The construction of an amenity center open to public use for a fee, on approximately 6-acres.
- The dedication of 7.5-acres to the City for the construction of 50-units of affordable housing.
- The set aside of approximately 10-acres for the expansion of the Cle Elum Cemetery.
- Approximately 6 miles of trails developed and maintained by Sun Communities open for public use.
- Neighborhood parks to be maintained by Sun Communities and open to the public.
- Construction of infrastructure including roads, intersection improvements, water and sewer system improvements, and stormwater facilities.
- Approximately 530-acres of Open Space including a Managed Open Space Area and a River Corridor Open Space subject to conservation easements.
- 26-acres set aside for a business park (to be retained by New Suncadia).
The Application for the Major Modification and associated documents, as well as background information on the 47 Degrees North Project can be accessed by clicking on the following links.
If you have questions about the 47 Degrees North Project please call (509) 674-2262 x102 and leave a message or email the Cle Elum Planning Department at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact you as soon as possible. Please include your name, contact information, and a reference to the 47 Degrees North Project.
The City will use this website to provide information about the proposal and review processes as it becomes available. Check back regularly for updates.
- Proposed Modifications to the Approved Master Site Plan
- 47 Degrees North Project Location
- Proposed Major Modification Notice of Application
- Major Modification Application
- 47 Degrees North Pre-Application Meeting
- Bullfrog UGA Mixed Use Development – Overview
- State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) Process (2019-2020)
- SEPA Memo
- SEPA Determination of Significance
- Supplemental EIS Scoping Meeting
- Scoping Memo & Summary
- Draft Supplemental EIS
- Notice of Availability
- Draft SEIS Document – 9-18-2020
- Appendix A Scoping Summary
- Appendix B Supplemental Site Engineering Report
- Appendix C Soils, Geology and Groundwater Report
- Appendix D Water Supply Assessment
- Appendix E Wetlands, Plants and Animals, and Fisheries Assessment
- Appendix F Air Quality and GHG Emissions Report
- Appendix G Noise Report
- Appendix H View Analysis Photos
- Appendix I Cultural Resources Report – Redacted
- Appendix J Transportation Report
- Appendix K Fiscal and Economic Report
- Draft SEIS Comments Received
- FINAL Supplemental EIS
- Notice of Availability
- Final SEIS Document
- Final SEIS Sections
- Final SEIS Appendices