SHORT-TERM RENTAL REGULATIONS
The Cle Elum City Council and Planning Commission established regulations for short-term rental housing within the City of Cle Elum in 2021 with the passing of CEMC 17.160 (Ordinance 1601). These regulations allow for an unlimited number of short-term rentals in commercial zones and a limited number of permits to be issued in residential zones, based upon specific spacing requirements prescribed by CEMC 17.160 (Ordinance 1601).
EXISTING SHORT-TERM RENTALS
Cle Elum’s short-term rentals within residential districts are required to be spaced at least 250 feet between property boundaries. The Cle Elum public map portal provides a short-term rental layer (existing short-term rentals) and a measuring tool for applicants to determine whether their property is eligible for a short-term rental permit (map instructions).
NEW SHORT-TERM RENTAL PERMITS
Applying for a Short-Term Rental
- Each proposed short-term rental must submit a separate application package and each owner/host is limited to owning and operating a maximum of three short-term rentals.
- The planning department will review and issue all short-term rental applications.
- The building department will review all short-term rentals for building and fire safety before a short-term rental permit is issued. The applicant will be notified during the short-term rental review process when they will need to complete a building permit application form. Once the building department inspection is complete, the planning department will issue the short-term rental permit.
Annual Renewal Process
- Short-term rental permit applications may be submitted at any time. However, the permit term shall be on a calendar-year basis (January – December), and permit fees are not prorated. The renewal date is December 15 annually.
- Renewal applications must be received prior to December 15 of each calendar year or new permit application and the full permit fee will be required. Applications are processed in the order they are received.
Short-Term Rental Termination
- Please submit notifications for short-term rental terminations on the annual renewal form, highlighting the changes.
- The initial permit fees and renewal permit fees are established by the Fee Schedule by resolution of City Council.
- A short-term rental permit fee is $900.00 ($780 permit; $120 licensing/processing)
- Applicants are also required to acquire a City business license.
- Short-Term Rental Code CEMC 17.160
- Short-Term Rental Ordinance (ORD 1601)
- Short-Term Rental Application:
- Short-Term Rental Annual Renewal Form
- Building Permit Application (do not complete until requested)